home / resource / about / contact / techmecca / resume / LinkedIn
Tech Mecca: technical audio consulting, tech
and studio engineering services since 1997
John Klett: all of that plus some... since 1977
Current and Recent: updated mid-Jan 2017
• some things I am doing or have done not too long ago...
||•... currently - various projects generally described and separated by dots • • as technical director lead audio consultant to an artist/producer I am consulting/specifying/directing/overseeing/prodding/helping a studio build in Williamsburg BK and am involved with acoustical, clean power, a custom analog mix desk with wiring and patch, a custom control room monitor system, overseeing equipment repairs and restoration and other things technical • • providing consulting and various guidance to several other artist/producer/engineer owned/operated studios in USA and Europe • • handling the audio portion of some technology projects under N.D.A. • • some tech consulting not audio-related at all (pays more) • • tech and audio consulting around installation art projects • • doing/overseeing some in-shop and mostly analog audio repair and custom work - while generally not encouraging more - it just happens • • and building/hacking odd custom gear for myself and friends, etc.
||•... currently and since 2011 the NonLinearAudio™ project has been designing and manufacturing interesting and useful audio products for music and recording. Tech Mecca and Eisen Audio started working together on this in 2011. We offer up our collective take on musical processing gear and utility equipment for recording and production. In 2017 we just moved our production and inventory to a new space and are organizing production runs of existing product and a first run of a new product. These are short runs of 50 units each - we call it "baking cookies" - and we like to have cookies in the jar ready to serve, or eat ourselves. We also do B.T.O. work and custom runs - like running 64+ units of a console equalizer for one client and building rack mount line-amplifier/mixers for another. If you can't find and buy what you want, but you still want it a lot, we might make it for you.
||•... 2016 (and maybe currently) starting in 2013... The Despacio Sound System, conceived and piloted by James Murphy (of LCD soundsystem) and David and Stephen Dewaele (of 2manyDJs and Soulwax), debuted at the Manchester International Festival in 2013. The system has been appearing at various venues and festivals since, including Sonar by Day 2014, Glastonbury Festival 2014, Electric Picnic 2015, LoveBox 2015, the Camden Roundhouse venue in London 2014 and 2015, Coachella 2016 and the Panorama Festival 2016 on Randall's Island, NYC. My starting role in this project was taking the design ethos from James Murphy, turning that in to a system design, working with a team assembled to do the build and getting the system up and running for the initial event and I have been at every show as technical audio guy and F.O.H. since.
||•... 2016 - worked with John Terelle to co-engineer/produce four "sides" for BlueJazzTV. We recorded the band over 4 days in summer 2015 at Guilford Sound in Vermont. In June 2016 we went back to mix four of the seven tracks and are looking to do more with them.
||•... 2015 - executed a 44 channel audio playout system for an art installation at the United Nations that was up during a General Assembly meeting and Papal visit in September 2015.
||•... 2014-2015 - for Diamond Mine Recording, a project-based analog recording/mix studio in Long Island City - facility design and layout, acoustical, electrical design/specification for this, roughly 1500 square foot, studio build in an industrial loft space in Long Island City, followed up with some analog tape machine work and upgrades to the control room monitors.
||•... 2014 - for United Visual Artists' Momentum project that debuted in Barbican Curve Gallery, London, 2014 - provided consultation and spec for acoustical labyrinth speaker device "pendulum bob"... with Don Fierro at Hakanai to refine and produce 3D print of device that UVA replicated for this work.
• regular and ongoing studio/sound/audio support/consulting/tech services - on a limited "short list" basis.
• product/project development/design guidance/support - projects large and small.
• recording, mix and mastering - I do music projects at a pace and frequency that keeps it alive and interesting and fun.
• on site consultations about studios, listening rooms, production facilities, acoustics, power for audio, monitor and playback systems, analog studio systems consoles and tape machines, "gear", classic and vintage analog recording, mixing and processing equipment... In many cases clients just need some direction that can be covered in a couple emails or a phone call and, occasionally, a casual conversation turns in to a project and a longer term relationship... contact
• consultation to manufacturers around various technical issues, product development, solving problems.
• in shop tech service/repair, Carmel, NY ... I do take some things in to repair or upgrade but the turn-around time can be quite slow at times depending on what else is going on and what the item is.
john klett (foreground) and john terelle mixing BlueJazzTV at Guilford Sound late-June 2016
18 Jan 2017
Tech Mecca, Inc.
Carmel, NY 10512
...site content copyright john klett 1995 - 2017