home / resource / about / contact / techmecca / resume / LinkedIn
Tech Mecca: technical audio consulting, tech
and studio engineering services since 1997
John Klett: all of that plus some... since 1977
Current and Recent: updated early September 2016
• some TechMecca projects...
||•... currently and since 2013... The Despacio Sound System, conceived and piloted by James Murphy (of lcd soundsystem) and David and Stephen Dewaele (of 2manyDJs and Soulwax), debuted at the Manchester International Festival in 2013. The system has been appearing at various venues and festivals since, including Sonar by Day 2014, Glastonbury Festival 2014, Electric Picnic 2015, LoveBox 2015, the Camden Roundhouse venue in London 2014 and 2015, Coachella 2016 and the Panorama Festival 2016 on Randall's Island, NYC. My starting role in this project was taking the design ethos from James Murphy, turning that in to a system design, working with a team assembled to do the build and getting the system up and running for the initial event. From then on I have been at every show as technical audio guy and F.O.H.. yes... I am actually paid to go to every Despacio event... what an incredible world!
||•... currently - various custom projects, • a private artist/producer studio build, a customlarge format analog mix console, • two custom large monitor systems, • customizing and upgrading DJ turntables, • building some odd custom gear for myself and friends, etc..||•... currently - doing spot consultation on several projects - one example being a barn conversion to an office/writing/recording studio where I am providing guidance on acoustics, clean power distribution, wiring and installation... there are several others like this in various stages where I help clients work though projects on an "assisted D.I.Y." basis.
||•... currently and since 2011 the NonLinearAudio™ project has been designing and manufacturing interesting and useful audio products for music and recording. Tech Mecca and Eisen Audio started working together on this in 2011. We offer up our collective take on musical processing gear and utility equipment for recording and production.
||•... 2016 - I worked with John Terelle to co-engineer/produce four "sides" for BlueJazzTV. We recorded the band over 4 days in summer 2015 at Guilford Sound in Vermont. We recently (late June 2016) went back to mix four of the seven tracks from that session and everyone came away with smiles.
||•... 2016 - Hyperballad Music is a new music and production facility in East Williamsburg, BK (Bushwick, really). My part covered overall facility design and layout, clean power systems, and some technical oversight for audio systems and monitor setup.
||•... 2015 - executed a 44 channel audio playout system for an art installation at the United Nations that was up during a General Assembly meeting and Papal visit in September 2015.
||•... 2014-2015 - for Diamond Mine Recording, a project-based analog recording/mix studio in Long Island City - facility design and layout, acoustical, electrical design/specification for this, roughly 1500 square foot, studio build in an industrial loft space in Long Island City, followed up with some analog tape machine work and upgrades to the control room monitors.
||•... 2014 - for Kickstarter, design and spec acoustical treatments for a multi-media and live presentation theater at new headquarters Greenpoint, Brooklyn.
||•... 2014 - for United Visual Artists' Momentum project that debuted in Barbican Curve Gallery, London, 2014 - provided consultation and spec for acoustical labyrinth speaker device "pendulum bob"... with Don Fierro at Hakanai to refine and produce 3D print of device that UVA replicated for this work.
• regular and ongoing studio/sound/audio support/consulting/tech services - on a limited "short list" basis.
• product/project development/design guidance/support - projects large and small.
• recording, mix and mastering - I do music projects at a pace and frequency that keeps it alive and interesting and fun.
• on site consultations about studios, listening rooms, production facilities, acoustics, power for audio, monitor and playback systems, analog studio systems consoles and tape machines, "gear", classic and vintage analog recording, mixing and processing equipment... In many cases clients just need some direction that can be covered in a couple emails or a phone call and, occasionally, a casual conversation turns in to a project and a longer term relationship... contact
• consultation to manufacturers around various technical issues, product development, solving problems.
• in shop tech service/repair, Carmel, NY ... I do take some things in to repair or upgrade but the turn-around time can be quite slow at times depending on what else is going on and what the item is.
john klett (forground) and john terelle mixing BlueJazzTV at Guilford Sound late-June 2016
1 Sep 2016
Tech Mecca, Inc.
Carmel, NY 10512
...site content copyright john klett 1995 - 2016